Canadian Immigration Application Approved! What Next?

by | Apr 15, 2021

The Canadian immigration process ideally begins with filing your application with Canadian immigration offices in your home country embassy or in the region in which you are located. You then wait for the application to be processed and thereafter, once your application is approved you will receive a notification from the immigration authorities. In case you had an immigration lawyer representing you, the notification will be sent to them.

Visa Required Countries

Essentially, the notification may instruct you to send your passport to an agency within your country of residence to have your Canadian visa stamped into your passport. This definitely applies to persons coming from countries whose nationals are required to obtain a visa before traveling to Canada. Therefore, if you are from a visa-required country, you and your accompanying family members, if any, must ensure that you send your passports to a visa office to have the visa stamped on the passports.

The passport request letter notification usually provides instructions on how to send your passport to the visa offices. Often, you will be required to mail it to the visa office location. Once the visa has been stamped on the passport, it will be mailed back to you at the return address that you would have indicated. After the visa is stamped and you receive your passport, you would then be good to travel to Canada.

Arrival In Canada

You would have noticed that you do not get issued your work permit, study permit, or confirmation of permanent residency at that point of traveling. Receipt of your work permit, study permit of confirmation of permanent residency, if you have been approved for permanent residency, happens when you actually land at the airport in Canada.

When you land at the airport in Canada, you will go through customs and immigration officers. The immigration officers will first ask you about your purpose for visiting Canada. Once you have explained that you are traveling for purposes of work, studies, or confirmation of permanent residency, you will be referred to a secondary officer in another location.

Once there, you will then be issued your confirmation of permanent residency, or your work permit, or your study permit. In other words, your work permit or study permit does not actually get issued to you before you get to Canada. They are issues when you land at the airport in Canada. However, approval of these status documents is done from your home country before you arrive in Canada.

Let Us Help

Should you have any further inquiries or questions concerning the next steps after your immigration application has been approved, we are here to provide you with the best professional advice. 

Please feel free to contact us in case you need any assistance with your immigration process. Book a call with us today!


Related resources

From America To Canada: Our Case Study On Getting An Investor Visa
From America To Canada: Our Case Study On Getting An Investor Visa

Are you an American company owner with dreams of expanding your business into Canada? Wondering if it's possible to set up a business operation in Canada and transfer yourself and your family there on work permits? The answer is a resounding yes! In this case study,...

The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Canada With an H-1B Visa from the US
The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Canada With an H-1B Visa from the US

As an employer in the United States, you may encounter situations where your employees on H-1B visas are nearing expiration. In such cases, it's essential to explore available options to retain these valuable employees. Fortunately, Canada provides potential solutions...

Looking for something in particular?

Suite 200, 201 City Centre Dr.,
Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4


Subscribe To GOOSELAW™Immigration

Please complete the required field below to receive GOOSELAW™ Immigration including alerts, insights and events.

You have Successfully Subscribed!