How The Canadian Immigration System Works

by | Mar 20, 2021

Broadly speaking, Canada’s immigration system targets persons who are wanting to move to Canada either as temporary residents or permanent residents. 

Temporary Residency v Permanent Residency

If you are wanting to move to Canada to study on a study visa or as a visitor on a tourist visa or to work on a work permit, such forms of immigration would fit under Canadian temporary residency programs. 

Alternatively, you also have the option of immigrating to Canada as a permanent resident. You can apply for permanent residency directly while you are outside Canada under one of the available Canadian permanent residency immigration options. 

You may also choose to move to Canada temporarily as a temporary resident, whether as a student or a worker and thereafter apply for permanent residency from inside Canada. Whether you are applying from outside or inside Canada, you have the option of applying to become a Canadian permanent resident either way.

Permanent Resident v Citizen

Becoming a Canadian permanent resident is not the same as being a Canadian citizen. Being a citizen in Canada is the highest status that can be attained. Canadian citizenship  entitles you to all the rights that every other Canadian enjoys.

Therefore, if you immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident, you would enjoy most of the rights enjoyed by Canadian citizens with a few exceptions. 

Permanent Residency Immigration Programs

If you are wanting to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident, you can either apply under federally managed immigration programs or provincially managed programs. 

Federally Managed Programs

Generally, Canada’s immigration programs are managed by the Federal Government. There are specific targeted immigration programs managed by the Federal Government. The Federal Government manages its immigration programs through the Express Entry System.

Express Entry System

This system enables the Federal Government to choose eligible candidates to invite to apply for Canadian permanent residency. Similarly, the provinces are also able to use the Express Entry System to select eligible candidates under their provincially managed immigration programs.

If you wish to apply for Canadian permanent residency under one of the federally managed immigration programs from outside Canada, you can either apply through the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Trades Program. If you are already inside Canada, you can apply through a Federal Government program known as a Canadian Experience Class.

Provincially Managed Programs

Notably, the provinces or territories of Canada also have some degree of autonomy in managing their own individual customized provincial immigration programs. Hence, they also have uniquely tailored provincially managed immigration programs that are designed to meet their specific labour needs. 

Let Us Help

We are happy and available to assist you put together the documentation you need for your Canadian immigration applications and guide you through the process. 

Should you need any professional advice regarding the immigration options available for you, please feel free to reach out to us. 

Book a call with us today!


Related resources

From America To Canada: Our Case Study On Getting An Investor Visa
From America To Canada: Our Case Study On Getting An Investor Visa

Are you an American company owner with dreams of expanding your business into Canada? Wondering if it's possible to set up a business operation in Canada and transfer yourself and your family there on work permits? The answer is a resounding yes! In this case study,...

The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Canada With an H-1B Visa from the US
The Ultimate Guide to Moving to Canada With an H-1B Visa from the US

As an employer in the United States, you may encounter situations where your employees on H-1B visas are nearing expiration. In such cases, it's essential to explore available options to retain these valuable employees. Fortunately, Canada provides potential solutions...

Looking for something in particular?

Suite 200, 201 City Centre Dr.,
Mississauga, ON L5B 2T4


Subscribe To GOOSELAW™Immigration

Please complete the required field below to receive GOOSELAW™ Immigration including alerts, insights and events.

You have Successfully Subscribed!